Here is how i had set up my emulator's network settings for browsing the internet on a Windows 7 machine. for linux the same principle applies...
- Make the emulator pass through the firewall
- if you are behind a proxy go to settings and set up your proxy for the emulator through the following steps-
- Open the emulator and click on Menu
- Click on Settings
- Click on Wireless & Networks
- Go to Mobile Networks
- Go to Access Point Names and click on it
- Click on Telkila Internet
- In the Edit Access Point, input Proxy server and Port
- Also provide the User Name and Password
- Keep rest of the fields blank
- Sometimes the DNS of the host PC is not recognized by the emulator... in that case use the following command in the command prompt...emulator -avd
-dns -server 126.96.36.199 (188.8.131.52 is the Googles default DNS) and change the DNS server of your machine to 184.108.40.206.otherwise you may opt for the DNS your company is using in the emulator -avd -dns -server command...
Hope this discussion comes handy for the Android newbies...